- Submissions must be in English.
- Abstract: Abstract title, Authors and Affiliations, Introduction/Background, Methods, Results, Discussion (max of 450 words, not counting title, authors and references), and References (a maximum of 5 references); Text only (no graphics, images or tables are allowed in the Abstract body).
- Case Report/Series: Case Report/Series Title, Authors and Affiliations, Introduction, Case Presentation, Discussion, References (max of 450 words, not counting title, authors and references), and References (a maximum of 5); Text only (no graphics, images or tables are allowed in the Case Report/Series body).
- Technical Booth: Title/ Name of non-commercial product or service, product or service Description, explanation as to why this product or service should be exhibited at the CAS Annual Meeting (max. 250 words).
- Supporting file: Applicants may submit one image (jpg, jpeg, png or gif; Up to 10 MB, high resolution (300 dpi recommended)).
- Only applications that are complete and in accordance with the instructions provided above will be considered for review.
- Submissions must be received electronically through the online platform by Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12:00 noon ET. Late, faxed or mailed submissions will not be accepted. The system will identify your submission as complete or incomplete. Submissions with incomplete status will not be accepted. The submitter has until the submission deadline to complete the Abstract submission.
- Browser: For best results we strongly recommend using Chrome or Firefox when submitting your Abstract. Do not use Internet Explorer unless necessary. If using a corporate or institutional web platform, please ensure the link to the online submission platform is not blocked, as this will not allow you to submit.
Abstract, Case Report/Series and Technical Booth applications can be submitted under the following categories:
- Airway Management
- Ambulatory/Pediatric Anesthesia
- Basic Science
- Cardiovascular and Thoracic
- Chronic Pain
- Critical Care Medicine
- Education and Simulation in Anesthesia
- Equipment Monitoring
- Gender Studies
- Health Management
- Obstetric Anesthesia
- Pain Management
- Regional and Acute Pain
- Other (please specify)
IMAGE UPLOAD REQUIREMENTS
Accepted Abstracts will be published electronically in the Canadian Journal of Anesthesia
supplement which is posted online. For optimal online viewing, it is recommended that only high-resolution images (300 dpi) be used
. If uploaded images are not legible, they may be omitted from the published Abstract
- All submissions MUST identify a presenting author.
- The presenting author is required to disclose any real or perceived conflict of interest on behalf of all authors, in relation to the material to be discussed.
- All correspondence will be sent to the presenting author. It is his/her responsibility to communicate this information to any additional authors.
- All presenting authors MUST register for the Annual Meeting and pay the appropriate registration fee by Thursday, April 15, 2021. Failure to do so will result in the automatic withdrawal of the Abstract or Case Report/Series. If the presenting author is unable to attend the meeting, please notify us of an alternate presenter. The alternate presenter must be a co-author of the research.
- If there is a change in the name or address of the presenting author prior to submission deadline of Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12 noon ET, you may login to your on-line submission account and edit the profile. After this date, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should there be any changes. New authors CANNOT be added to an Abstract after the deadline.
ELIGIBILITY (ABSTRACTS AND CASE REPORT/SERIES)
Abstracts or Case Report/Series submitted and accepted to other conferences, for example the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA), the International Anesthesia Research Society (IARS), or the European Society of Anesthesiologists (ESA), CANNOT
be submitted to the CAS Annual Meeting as these have been posted and will be published.
If the work has been published as a journal article prior to the start of the CAS Annual Meeting, either in print or on-line, it CANNOT
be submitted. Applicants CANNOT submit multiple Abstracts from the same research study
Abstracts describing investigations carried out in humans will not be accepted unless the study was approved by, and carried out according to instructions of, the authors' institutional Human Investigations Committee or the Research Ethics Board (REB). This includes studies carried out as QA/QI initiatives. A statement concerning REB approval, or equivalent, and consent for study participation MUST
appear at the beginning of the ‘Methods
’ section. Any systematic data gathering efforts in patients or volunteers must also be approved by the REB or adhere to local/national regulations. If Ethics approval was waived by the ethics board, please state this along with the reasons for the approval waiver. If the REB approval or equivalent is not stated, the Abstract will be rejected
Abstracts describing investigations carried out in animals will NOT BE ACCEPTED
unless the study was approved by, and carried out according to instructions of, the authors' institutional Animal Care Committee (ACC) or equivalent. If the ACC approval or equivalent is not provided, the Abstract will be rejected
Patient or guardian consent is required for Case Report/Series in accordance with local institutional guidelines. If the patient consent for publication is not provided, the Abstract will be rejected
. Note that patient or guardian consent is required as accepted Case Report/Series will be published.
The generic name must be used. The trade name may also be included (in brackets) after the first use of the drug name.
Only FULLY ANONYMOUS
Abstracts or Case Report/Series submissions will be accepted for review. No identification of authors, institution of origin, geographic area, sources of funding, or author references may appear in the submission title, text or supporting file
. Submissions that are not fully anonymous will be REJECTED
by the Scientific Affairs Sub-Committee. This includes specific identification of the ethics review board
PRELIMINARY REVIEW FOR ABSTRACT AUTHORS FROM DEVELOPING COUNTRIES
CAS will be offering optional
support to authors from developing countries as defined by the World Bank list of LOW or LOWER-MIDDLE income countries
. Qualifying authors may submit their Abstract for pre-review and suggestions from a member of the Scientific Affairs Sub-committee. When submitting the Abstract, select "Preliminary Review" option.
Abstracts for Preliminary Review must be submitted by Thursday, January 14, 2021, 12 noon EST
. The Abstract will be reviewed and returned to the submitter by Monday, January 25, 2021 to allow for re-submission of the potentially revised Abstract by the general deadline of Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12:00 noon EST
Participating in this program is NOT a guarantee of acceptance of the updated submission and the pre-reviewer will not be involved in
the final review process
. As with all submissions, authors will be responsible for registering and paying the appropriate fees to attend the Annual Meeting, securing travel documents/authorization, and covering all associated costs (travel, hotel, meals in Canada etc.).
All Abstracts and Case Report/Series will undergo a blind review by the Scientific Affairs Sub-Committee. Authors should be careful to avoid submitting multiple datasets from one study as multiple Abstracts
. Multiple submissions from a single study or dataset will be excluded unless prior clarification and approval is granted
Abstracts with no data or incomplete data will receive a score of zero (0) for the Results and Discussion.
|Abstracts will be judged in five areas:
• Originality (20%)
• Methods (20%)
• Data analysis (20%)
• Conclusion (20%)
• Clinical Relevance (20%)
|Case Report/Series will be judged on:
• Novelty (20%)
• Importance (20%)
• Clarity of Presentation (20%)
• Quality of Discussion (20%)
• Background Literature Search (20%)
NOTICE OF STATUS
All Abstract submitted must comply within these guidelines to be considered for acceptance. Notification of acceptance or rejection will be emailed by Tuesday, March 9, 2021
to the presenting author identified during the submission process.
Written notification MUST BE
sent by the presenting author to withdraw an accepted Abstract, Case Report/Series or Technical Booth. Notification can be sent via email to email@example.com. The notification must include the Abstract, Case Report/Series or Technical Booth title and submission number.
REGISTRATION AT THE ANNUAL MEETING
Presenting authors must register and pay to attend the Annual Meeting as a condition to their Abstract being published. Registration is NOT complimentary.
All Abstracts and Case Report/Series will be posted on the CAS website.
The Canadian Journal of Anesthesia
(CJA) will publish those abstracts and Case Report/Series presented or displayed
at the Annual Meeting, which will be indexed, citable, searchable and available in full text and PDF formats online.
Presenting authors who do not attend and/or present at the Annual Meeting will have their abstract withdrawn from publication.
ABSTRACT PRESENTATION TYPES
All accepted Abstracts will be assigned one of the 4 presentation types. Presentation type assigned is based entirely upon the score of the Abstract.
Case Report/Series will not be considered for any competitions or awards
- Residents' Oral Competition: Top 5 scoring abstracts, of residents enrolled in a Canadian department of anesthesia when the research was completed. Authors must indicate during the submission process if they wish to be included. Residents must be members of CAS to be eligible. Competitors will receive 8 minutes to present live, followed by 3 minutes Q&A, and will be judged by a panel of experts.
- Richard Knill Research Oral Competition: Top 5 scoring non-resident Abstracts. Presenting authors must be members of CAS to be eligible. Competitors will receive 8 minutes to present live, followed by 3 minutes Q&A, and will be judged by a panel of experts.
- Electronic poster (ePoster) video presentations: Selected authors will be invited to submit a pre-recorded 5-minute ePoster oral presentation. EPoster presentations will be available to meeting attendees and discussed during dedicated sessions in the virtual meeting.
- Electronic Abstract: Abstracts accepted for the 2021 Annual Meeting will be available on-line for to attendees of the meeting.
CAS members can make a submission to request a Technical Booth to promote knowledge of a non-commercial product or service. This is a prime opportunity to showcase new advances to Annual Meeting delegates attending the exhibit. Up to two complimentary booths will be awarded.
All Technical Booth submissions must be received electronically through the online submission system
by Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12:00 noon ET
. Mailed or faxed submissions will not be accepted.
The Scientific Affairs Sub-Committee will be responsible for reviewing Technical Booth submissions. The score of each selected submission will constitute 100% of the final score.
The authors of the two submissions receiving the highest scores will be invited to organize a Technical Booth (complimentary).
TECHNICAL BOOTH SPECS
Virtual Meeting booth details coming soon.
RESPONSIBILITY OF THE TECHNICAL BOOTH EXHIBITOR
Details coming soon.
CONDITIONS OF CONTRACT
Technical Booth exhibitors must abide by all rules, requirements, restrictions, and regulations as set forth in the acceptance notice and the Exhibitor Manual. More details will be available soon.
There is no fee to submit an Abstract, Case Report/Series and Technical Booth for the CAS Annual Meeting.
Presenting authors are expected to be registered for the 2021 CAS Virtual Annual Conference by Thursday, April 15, 2021
(Early Bird registration deadline).